|The public is reminded by the Derry Fire Department to make sure exhaust vents are clear, and roofs are shoveled.|
SNOW DAY UPDATE: The Derry Fire Department is urging all residents to check the heating vents and fresh air intakes that are often located just above the foundations of their homes.
With all the snow on the ground, and more coming tomorrow, many homes may see several feet of snow accumulating around their foundations. Often extra snow can accumulate around a foundation of a home, because of snow drifts, residents shoveling roofs, decks, or even snow sliding off of roofs. This snow can create hazards. In 2005, 7-year-old Nicole Garofalo died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her Plymouth, Massachusetts home after snow blocked the heating vent, forcing the deadly gas back into the home.
Many newer, high-efficiency heating systems, including pellet stoves, have the vents and fresh air intakes located near the foundation, just a few feet above the ground. If these vents and intakes become blocked, or partially obstructed by accumulating or drifting snow, or ice they can cause serious carbon monoxide problems in the home, cause your heating appliances to run inefficiently, or even shut down.
To prevent this from happening residents are urged to check the areas around the foundation of their home, and clear snow and ice from around the vents, fresh air intakes, gas meters, and gas regulators.
Starting around 5 p.m. on February 2, the Derry Fire Department will be doing a mass-call on its Code Red Alerting system to warn residents of this specific hazard. Also starting tomorrow there will be announcements on the Derry Cable System and on the Fire Department Web Page at www.derry- nh.org
Lastly, all residents are reminded to install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in their homes. Install CO detectors on every level of your home, test them monthly, and remember twice a year during Daylight Savings Time, when you change the clocks, change the batteries on your smoke and CO detectors.
Post a Comment