December 13, 2010

Al's Gun Shop damaged in fire

Union Leader Correspondent
DERRY -- A collapsed chimney and resulting fire left a local gun shop with mostly water damage, but jammed up traffic along West Broadway for two hours while firefighters attacked the blaze.
“We’re all OK,” said Theresa Bacon, whose home is adjacent to the family business, Al’s Gun and Reel Shop, at 5 Linwood Ave. “I’ve got ServiceMaster here now, and they’re cleaning up,” said Bacon last night. She and her husband, Al, have been operating the popular gun shop at the intersection of Linwood and West Broadway for 40 years.
Fire officials were called to the gun shop at about 2:23 p.m. for a chimney fire, which was detected by the Bacons when they noticed the shop getting smoky. “Yes, it’s a good thing we were home,” said Theresa Bacon.
Derry Fire Engine 1 and 2, Truck 4 and Medic 1 all responded to the fire which, upon arrival, was found to be extending to the building frame in the second floor attic. Additional equipment and manpower were sent to the scene. Derry Police had to reroute traffic away from the intersection, which caused traffic delays on Route 102.
Firefighters had to open the walls and ceilings on the first and second floors and in the attic to get at the fire, which was hidden deep inside the walls. Fire officials said moderate fire, smoke and water damage were sustained on the second floor, while the first floor and basement sustained water damage. The cause of the fire was listed as the collapse of the chimney liner, according to a report issued by Derry Fire Battalion Chief Dave Hoffman.
The shop will remain open for business this week, although they are normally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays anyway, Theresa Bacon said.
“We’ll be open, but we have a lot of work to do,” Bacon said.

No comments:

Post a Comment